- MBBS, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, 2000
- M.S., University of Hull, United Kingdom, 2004
- Ph.D., University of East Anglia, Norwich, United Kingdom
- Postdoc, University of East Anglia/Virginia Commonwealth University/University of Florida, 2007-2014
There are currently three main areas of active research in the Ogunwobi lab.
- We are using our orthotopic syngeneic mouse models of metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma and colon cancer to understand the mechanisms of metastasis with particular interest in the role of circulating tumor cell biology.
- We are investigating the role of specific non-coding RNAs in the racial disparity in aggressive prostate cancer.
- We are investigating the role of specific miRNAs in chemoresistance in pancreatic cancer.
BIOL47130 - Biology of Cancer ProgressionSelected Publications :
- Sheng W, Ogunwobi OO, Chen T, Zhang J, George TJ, Liu C, Fan ZH. Capture, release and culture of circulating tumor cells from pancreatic cancer patients using an enhanced mixing chip. Lab Chip. 2014;14(1):89-98.
- Ogunwobi OO, Puszyk W, Dong H, Liu C. Epigenetic upregulation of c-Met and HGF drives metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS One, 2013, 8(5):e63765.
- Zhao X, Tian C, Puszyk W, Ogunwobi OO, Cao M, Wang T, Cabrera R, Nelson D, Liu C. OPA1 down-regulation is involved in sorafenib-induced apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Laboratory Investigation, 2013, 93(1):8-19.
- Ogunwobi OO, Liu C. Therapeutic and prognostic importance of epithelial-mesenchymal transition in liver cancers: Insights from experimental models. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 2012, 83(3):319-28.
- Ogunwobi OO, Wang T, Zhang L, Liu C. COX-2 and Akt mediate multiple growth factor-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition in human hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2012, 27 (3): 566-578 (Editorial on pages 418-420).
- Ogunwobi OO, Liu C. Hepatocyte growth factor upregulation promotes carcinogenesis and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in hepatocellular carcinoma via Akt and COX-2 pathways. Clin Exp Metastasis, 2011, 28 (8): 721-31.
- Zhao X, Ogunwobi OO, Liu C. Survivin inhibition is critical for bcl-2 inhibitor-induced apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. PLoS One, 2011, 6 (8): e21980.
- Beales ILP, Ogunwobi OO. Microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 inhibition blocks proliferation and enhances apoptosis in esophageal adenocarcinoma cells without affecting endothelial prostacyclin production. Int J Cancer, 2010, 126 (9) 2247-55.
- Beales I, Ogunwobi O. Glycine-extended gastrin inhibits apoptosis in Barrett’s oesophageal and oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells through JAK2/STAT3 activation. J Mol Endocrinol, 2009, 42 (4): 305-18.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. Statins inhibit proliferation and induce apoptosis in Barrett’s oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells. Am J Gastroenterol, 2008, 103 (4): 825-837 (Editorial on pages 838-41).
- Ogunwobi O, Mutungi G, Beales ILP. Leptin stimulates proliferation and inhibits apoptosis in Barrett’s oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells by COX-2 dependent, PGE2 mediated transactivation of the EGF receptor and JNK activation. Endocrinology, 2006, 147(9): 4505-4516.
- Ogunwobi OO*. Invited presentation to the Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York. Title: Elucidating the mechanisms of cancer metastasis using circulating tumor cell biology. New York, April 23, 2014.
- Ogunwobi OO*. Invited presentation to the School of Public Health, City University of New York, New York. Title: In search of a biomarker of aggressiveness and disparity in prostate cancer. New York, April 23, 2014.
- Ogunwobi OO, Liu C. Circulating tumor cell miR-27a overexpression as a novel mechanism of hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis. American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, USA, April 5-9 2014.