- B.A., University of California, 1994
- Ph.D., New York University, 2006
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Columbia University, 2006-2009
My research involves using animal models to understand the neural basis of different neuropsychiatric disorders, including depression, anxiety, and eating disorders. There are several ongoing projects in the lab. In one project, we are investigating the role of stress during adolescence and adulthood on the development of mood and anxiety disorders. In another project, we are characterizing the effects of an animal model of anorexia nervosa on the development of new neurons and glia. In a third project, we are identifying the neural circuits that mediate the effects of serotonin on fear learning and innate anxiety. Each project involves a combination of behavioral, molecular, and cellular neurobiological techniques.Selected Publications :
- Burghardt, N.S. & Bauer, E.P. (2013) Acute and Chronic Effects of SSRI Treatment on Fear Conditioning: Implications for Underlying Fear Circuits. Neuroscience, 247:253-72.
- Ravinder, S., Burghardt, N.S. *, Brodsky, R., Bauer, E., & Chattarji, S. (2013) A Role for the Extended Amygdala in the Fear Enhancing Effects of Acute Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor Treatment. Translational Psychiatry, 3:e209.*(co-first author)
- Burghardt, N.S., Sigurdsson, T., Gorman, J.M., McEwen, B.S.& LeDoux, J.E. (2012) Chronic Antidepressant Treatment Impairs the Acquisition of Fear Extinction. Biological Psychiatry, 73(11):1078-86. Recommended by Faculty of 1000
- Burghardt, N.S., Park, E.H., Hen, R. & Fenton, A.A. (2012) Adult-born Hippocampal Neurons Promote Cognitive Flexibility in Mice. Hippocampus 22(9):1795-808.
- Denny, C.A., Burghardt, N.S., Schachter, D.M., Hen, R., & Drew, M.R. (2012) 4- to 6-Week-Old Adult-Born Hippocampal Neurons Influence Novelty-Evoked Exploration and Contextual Fear Conditioning. Hippocampus 22(5): 1188-201.
- Sahay, A., Scobie, K.N., Hill, A.S., O’Carroll, C.M., Kheirbek, M.A., Burghardt, N.S., Fenton, A.A., Dranovsky A. & Hen, R. (2011) Impact of Increasing Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis on Cognition and Mood. Nature 472 (7344): 466-70.
- Mechanisms Underlying Maladaptive Behaviors Associated with Anorexia Nervosa. Behavior and Cognitive Neuroscience Colloquium, Graduate Center, New York